Bachelor Degree Interior Design
The Department of Interior Design offers an undergraduate Bachelor Degree, a fourth year Bachelor of Technology Degree and a Master of Technology Degree in Interior Design. The Department’s facilities include designated studio areas first year to Master’s students and a centrally-located specialist computer studio.
Graduates are qualified for interior design careers in:
- Retail interiors
- Office complexes
- Exhibition stands
- Domestic interiors
- Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score
- Attendance of an entrance assessment once the application form has been processed
- Submission of a portfolio with ten pieces of work, to be presented at the entrance assessment
- Completion of the National Benchmarking Test (NBT) for Academic and Quantitative Literacy (AQL)
Average Point Score (APS)
A minimum APS of 23 with Mathematics or 24 with Mathematical Literacy is required to apply for the programme.
|Language of teaching and learning||Other recognised language|||
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
Maths Lit: 5
Applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements for the BA (Interior Design) Degree will be invited to attend an entrance assessment and to submit a prescribed portfolio.
Applicants are selected by means of an entrance assessment consisting of an interview, a written component, a practical assessment testing two- and three-dimensional skills and the submission of a portfolio. Applicants must bring the portfolio and the following to the entrance assessment:
- Pen, pencils, eraser, metal-edged ruler, cutting knife for cardboard, a tube of clear Bostik glue, two sheets of A2 cartridge drawing paper and one sheet of lightweight A1 triplex mounting board (cardboard).
- Passport photograph, money for refreshments, the prescribed portfolio, as described below.
- A portfolio of at least ten pieces of work is required
- The work should ideally include examples of drawings, paintings or design
- Applicants are encouraged to take photographs of any completed original art or design work that cannot be presented in their portfolios. Photographs should be presented in printed format during the entrance assessment.
Department of Interior Design
Secretary Name: Kathy Loots
Telephone Number: 011 559 1115